The MV Hospital Maternity Department has a strong focus on family-centered care. Every effort is made to have the baby with its family as much as possible during their hospital stay.
At the heart of the Maternity Department are its three LDRP rooms – spaces designed for labor, delivery, recovery and post-partum care. In most cases, these inviting rooms become a family’s home for the entire duration of the birth experience.
- The Maternity Department offers childbirth education classes throughout the year. For more information and a current schedule click here.
- For a Maternity Department patient and family information sheet click here.
- For MVH Obstetricians, Gynecologists and Midwives click here.
- Maternity Department: (508) 957-9330
Martha’s Vineyard Hospital is currently working to achieve accreditation as a Baby Friendly Hospital.
The Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative (BFHI) is a global program that was launched by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF). The BFHI recognizes birthing facilities who implement the Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding and the International Code of Marketing of Breast-milk Substitutes. In addition, the BFHI helps hospitals equip all mothers with the information, confidence and skills required to successfully initiate and continue breastfeeding their babies or feed formula safely.
For more information, please visit www.babyfriendlyusa.org
- American Academy of Pediatrics article on Breastfeeding
- Massachusetts Breastfeeding Coalition
- The CDC Guide to Strategies to Support Breastfeeding Mothers and Babies
- The Surgeon General’s Call to Action to Support Breastfeeding
- International Lactation Consultant Association (ILCA)
- United States Breastfeeding Committee
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office on Women’s Health Your Guide to Breastfeeding (PDF)
- Texas Department of State Health Services Breastfeeding Guide (PDF)